It is a fact that The Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute (BORI) removed the detailed, direct narrative of Karna's digvijaya in their Critical Edition of the Mahabharata.
After going through the Mahabharata, I had found that Karna’s digvijaya yatra (mentioned in the Vana Parva of Mahabharata) is an interpolation, for the following reasons.
——
I am not reproducing the entire portion of Karna’s digvijaya yatra, but quoting only 2 incidents therefrom and cross-checked whether those narrations were confirmed in the subsequent chapters.
And, I found that the cross-checking confirmed that the following 2 main incidents were interpolated. Hence, I had concluded that the entire digvijaya yatra episode is an interpolated one.
——
I) Defeat of Bhagadatta
a) It was mentioned in the Vana Parva(Chapter 254 Vana Parva ) that Bhagadatta was defeated by Karna, during his digvijaya towards Northern side.
अथोत्तरां दिशं गत्वा वशे चक्रे नराधिपान् । भगदत्तं च निर्जित्य राधेयो गिरिमारुहत् ॥
Then going to the north, he subdued the sovereigns (of that quarter) and having effected the defeat of Bhagadatta, Radha's son ascended that mighty mountain Himavat, all along fighting his foes.
b) While narrating the abilities of various warriors in Kauravas camp, Bhishma narrates the capacity of Bhagadatta. While Bhishma recounts the fight between Arjuna and Bhagadatta (Udyoga Parva) that occurred before Rajasuya Yagna, he did not mention the fight between Karna and Bhagadatta.
एतेन युद्धमभवत्पुरा गाण्डीवधन्वनः । दिवसान्सुबहून्राजन्नुभयोर्जयगृद्धिनोः ॥
ततः सखायं गान्धारे मानयन्पाकशासनम् । अकरोत्संविदं तेन पाण्डवेन महात्मना ॥
The ruler of Pragjyotisha, the brave Bhagadatta of exceeding prowess, is the foremost of those holding the elephant hook, and is skilled also in fighting from a car. An encounter took place between him and the wielder of Gandiva for days together, O king, each desirous of victory over the other. Then Bhagadatta, O son of Gandhari, who regarded Indra as his friend, made friendship with (Indra's son) the high-souled Pandava.
This shows that fight between Karna and Bhagadatta did not occur, and Bhagadatta was not defeated by Karna. It is an interpolation.
——
II) Pact with Rukmi
a) It was mentioned in the Vana Parva (Chapter 254 Vana Parva) that Rukmi fought with Karna during his digvijaya towards Southern side and made friendship with him.
दक्षिणां दिशमास्थाय कर्णो जित्वा महारथान् । रुक्मिणं दाक्षिणात्येषु योधयामास सूतजः ॥
स युद्धं तुमुलं कृत्वा रुक्मी प्रोवाच सूतजम् । प्रीतोस्मि तव राजेन्द्र विक्रमेण बलेन च ।
न ते विघ्नं करिष्यामि प्रतिज्ञां समपालयम् ॥
Then going to the south, Karna vanquished the mighty charioteers (of that quarter) and in Dakshinatya, the Suta's son entered into conflict with Rukmi. After having fought dreadfully, Rukmi spake to the Suta's son saying, 'O foremost of monarchs, I have been pleased with thy might and prowess. I shall not do thee wrong: I have only fulfilled the vow of a Kshatriya. Gladly will I give thee as many gold coins as thou desirest.'
b) The same Rukmi comes to Pandava’s camp, alongwith his Vijaya bow, before start of the war and offers to conquer Bhishma, Drona and Karna (Udyoga Parva). Then, he states that he would slay one of those heroes, viz., Drona and Kripa, and Bhishma, and Karna.
However, he did not mention about the friendship pact made with Karna.
This shows that fight between Karna and Rukmi did not occur, and Rukmi did not enter a friendship Karna. It is an interpolation.
न हि मे विक्रमे तुल्यः पुमानस्तीह कश्चन । हनिष्यामिरणे भागं यन्मे दास्यसि पाण्डव ॥
अपि द्रोणकृपौ वीरौ भीष्मकर्णावथो पुनः । अथवा सर्व एवैते तिष्ठन्तु वसुधाधिपाः ॥
निहत्य समरे शत्रूंस्तव दास्यामि मेदिनीम् ।
And addressing Dhananjaya, the son of Kunti in the midst of the heroes there assembled, he said,
'If, O son of Pandu, thou art afraid, I am here to render thee assistance in the battle. The assistance I will give thee will be unbearable by thy foes. There is no man in this world who is equal to me in prowess. I will slay those foes of thine whom thou, O son of Pandu, wilt assign to me.
I will slay one of those heroes, viz., Drona and Kripa, and Bhishma, and Karna. Or, let all these kings of the earth stand aside. Slaying in battle thy foes myself, I will give thee Earth.'
No comments:
Post a Comment